A little background info.

My photo
Anchorage, AK, United States
I moved to Alaska a few years ago and started the Update as a means to keep connected with the outside world. I hope you enjoy my (mis)adventures and stories from the Great Land! Feel free to leave a comment! For designers - please see my other blog,The Book Design Guide. The link is posted to the right in my 'selected links'.

Sunday, August 6, 2006

August 2006 - We're moving to Alaska

August 6th, 2006

Hello Everyone,

I guess it's time to officially let the cat out of the bag. Some of you may know that Chris and I took a vacation up to Anchorage, Alaska in late July for the "Soggy Bottom 100" Mountain bike race and a casual job interview toward the end of our trip. We found out Monday that the casual interview left an impression on RDI (Resource Data, Inc.) and in turn they offered Chris a great job with great benefits. After a ton of discussion, number crunching, and so on, Chris accepted their offer, and we are starting the process of moving. By the way, I've been excited about the possibilities of Alaskan living for some time, and now that I'm nearing the completion of my commercial pilots training, and Mountain flying course, the prospects are even more exciting!

While we love our house here in Boise, and while Boise was just listed in National Geographic's Adventure Magazine as the nations #1 place to live, we both feel this is the right move for right now (we're both young, healthy, a little crazy, and perhaps a little green and foolish, and our folks are also in good shape). It's the perfect combination for a little adventure! We'll also miss our friends, and understand that family visits may come at slightly farther intervals. The good news is that each of us gets a COLA check once a year from the State just for being there, and have determined that it will be our travel fund.

So, the details are as follows, Chris will be moving with Lax (our Golden/Lab), his truck, the boat, and a minimal amount of furniture on August 20th, hoping to arrive in Anchorage around the 28th of August (it's a very long drive since you have to drive through the Yukon Territory north and east of Anchorage before cutting south and west into Anchorage). He'll start work at RDI on September 5th. We have decided to rent an apartment in Anchorage for 6 months to look for a house, and see how the winter effects us before committing to buying property up there. Chris found an interesting little apartment that welcomes large dogs in what is said to be a good area of town, and is very affordable. We'll still sell our house here as the market is booming and bound to go bust soon. We'd rather have the cash on hand to bail us out if we run into an intense desire to flee Alaska during the winter.

As for me, I will be frantically getting the house in order and ready to sell. I have to pack, paint, trim trees, green up the lawn, harvest the garden, fix the fence, etc... and then get up to Anchorage some time before the start of winter in late October or so. I'll rent a U-haul and a car trailer for the drive, and take Zev (our Great Pyrenees) and Mitre (the cat) with me in the U-haul. Chris' mother Linda has sort of volunteered to fly to Boise and drive with me, though she's not completely committed to it yet. After Chris leaves, however, things will be very quiet here in Boise, so I'll have plenty of time to finish my task list.

My job prospects in Anchorage are also pretty exciting, and I've sent resumes to a number of places. There is a special education teacher shortage in the school district and a position at a Jewish private school for a full time art instructor, as well as a number of prospects at Aero-tech Aviation and K2 Aviation for junior level and entry level pilots. Coincidentally, Chris's new boss is one of the founders of a charter flight service and has offered a float plane trip upon our arrival to size me up as well and to give us a healthy introduction to Chugach mountains nearby. From what I understand, bars and restaurants are also in need of bartenders regularly. We'll see what happens.

I look forward to updating everyone on our progress, and giving everyone our new contact information. For now, everything will stay the same until I'm ready to move.

Much love to all,

Vered

No comments:

Post a Comment