A little background info.

My photo
Anchorage, AK, United States
I moved to Alaska a few years ago and started the Update as a means to keep connected with the outside world. I hope you enjoy my (mis)adventures and stories from the Great Land! Feel free to leave a comment! For designers - please see my other blog,The Book Design Guide. The link is posted to the right in my 'selected links'.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Alaska Update

September 24th, 2006


Hello everyone!

I do apologize for the lengthy absence of updates, but life happens and typing goes by the wayside on occasion. Well, for those of you new to the Alaska update- Welcome, and please don't hold out on responding to me. I love hearing from anyone who cares to reply (things are little quiet around here these days).

I believe the last time I wrote, Chris had just arrived in Anchorage and was discovering the character of our basement apartment and quaint (if not interesting) neighborhood. Since then, Chris has started work at RDI (Resource Data Inc.) as the Sr. "Dot" Net Analyst, and outside from his beautiful office with a view, he doesn't have a whole lot to say about the job at the moment, except that folks in Alaska are rather disorganized, have little time for meetings (to get organized), and would rather be out flying airplanes than actually getting work done (my kind of people). I think however, Chris finds this rather frustrating because he takes his work very seriously and respects deadlines- something that seems to be more of a suggestion than a reality up there. While he's feeling pressure to get his first project underway, he is also the only person in the company that understands how the process works and is having a difficult time getting his point across. They simply don't understand that Rome was not built in a day (sorry to steel such an old cliche), but it seemed fitting for his predicament. I think over time, the good people at RDI will see Chris' logic and his job will become less chaotic, and I sincerely hope that happens before my arrival, but I'm not holding my breath.

On a more personal view of life in Anchorage, we have spoken nearly every evening, and thus far Chris seems to really like the city. He's been lost at least 4 times on the trails while walking Lax, and has found a few people daring enough to go mountain biking with him. While coffee is not so plentiful in places like Utah (and in some parts of Idaho), it flows in abundance in Anchorage, and according to Chris, there is more than one coffee shop on every block- dark, rich, hot, frothy coffee not more than 50 feet away at any time (FANTASTIC!). The Coastal Trail, Earthquake Park, and the dog park are just a short drive from the crummy apartment, and in some cases an easy walk from our small, underground palace. The university is close by as well, and apparently, it too is easy to get lost in. Chris had to ask directions to get back to the road while we were talking a couple of days ago. I guess he was so enthralled with our conversation; he took a wrong turn and ended up in the woods utterly unable to tell North from South or East from West as the clouds were covering the sun, and inconveniently found himself at a fork in the trail without a clue as to which way to turn. Thank goodness he ran into some people to ask directions, or he might have been wandering around in the woods for some time. I say this with a grin because the patch of woods (some 5 or 10 acres) is so densely overgrown, that one would quickly forget they were spitting distance from down town. I've been told there are many places like that right in the middle of Anchorage- all with moose, and some with bears.

The weather up there is turning colder by the day and they've had what the locals call "Termination Dust", a sinister way to describe the first snows before winter. The high yesterday was around 42 degrees, and the sunset jumped backward nearly 4 whole minutes to about 8 o'clock in the evening. I am both excited and a little nervous for what's in store for me and my father when we start our journey north. I finally secured passage on the ferry from Bellingham to Haines. They cut out the leg from Haines to Anchorage, so we'll have to drive from Haines on into Anchorage, some 700 miles. Our ferry leaves Bellingham on October 27th and arrives in Haines on the 1st of November. I was completely flabbergasted when the kind lady from the ferry system quite seriously asked me if we (me, dad, and the dog), would prefer to camp on the deck of the ferry outside, or if we'd like a room. CAMPING!?!?! In November?! Wow, the fact that people actually do that is impressive, or they are too poor to afford a room below deck, in which case I feel sorry for them. Those are the folks with very hearty souls and hopefully, plenty of warm clothes and lots of hot coffee. I of course opted to get the room, and I think it will be well worth the added cost in the end. I've volunteered for a couple of shifts behind the bar and that should cover the cost of the room sufficiently. At this point, I'm not sure exactly when my father arrives here in Boise as he's in Germany at the moment, but I know it will be with plenty of time to make the drive from here to Bellingham.

As for things here in Boise, I was finally let back into the house on the 15th after the hardwood floors were refinished. I am very lucky to have good friends that helped me move things out of the house, and then graciously entertained me and Zev for over a week while I was banished from the house. I've had one offer on the house, but Chris and I felt it was just too low, so we gently rejected the offer in hopes that a more substantial offer will come through soon. I've had 2 open houses through our listing agent, Jason, who is also a friend from the pool league we played on for a few years. The first one didn't go all that well as it was cold, raining, and there was a large festival going on that kept people away. Today's open house, however, yielded 6 visitors in three hours, and one seemed genuinely interested in the house and has a follow up appointment early in the week. I sincerely hope this old house sells sooner rather than later, as I'm getting tired of keeping it show ready. Chris can tell you first hand that I'm not the most organized person, and he strongly believes I have some hoarding disorder for the amount of odd things I collect. I mention that tidbit of information because I have TWO, yes TWO truck loads of stuff to get over to the Idaho Youth Ranch and the ARC. Those of you who know me best should know what a colossal task that was for me to accomplish. Gone are the receipts from Moxie Java that I've been collecting for the better part of the last 3 years, and no- I don't know why I've collected them. So for now the house is immaculate and very stark becoming more stark every day as I get more boxes packed.

Lastly, before I say good night, some of you may be wandering about family visits and holidays. During all of the commotion of moving, I forgot that Rosh Hashana was nearly upon me, when I was reminded by a good friend that my mother had reservations to come and visit. While I was expecting my mother to come up for a visit starting Friday I guess she had had a change of plans. At this point, I'm not sure when she's going to make it up here or if she'll make it up here before the big move (I think she had an opportunity to go to Brazil or some other place warm). As Rosh Hashana started Friday, my co-workers inadvertently brought me sliced apples and honey (completely unaware of how perfect their choice of treats was for me). I started this Jewish New Year off with close friends and a long walk with Zev, as well as a heartfelt prayer for my good friends’ father who went in for surgery, and for my mother as well for her continued good health and happiness. And with that, I will say good night.

I'll send updates as things come up- I'm sure they will pick up as we get into October, and the trip date gets closer. Shanah Tova, happy equinox, and pleasant dreams...

Vered
and Zev too

No comments:

Post a Comment