A little background info.

My photo
Anchorage, AK, United States
I moved to Alaska a few years ago and started the Update as a means to keep connected with the outside world. I hope you enjoy my (mis)adventures and stories from the Great Land! Feel free to leave a comment! For designers - please see my other blog,The Book Design Guide. The link is posted to the right in my 'selected links'.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Stories from the road

November 14th, 2006

Hello,


I know it's been quite some time since I've sent any updates about the relocation. The truth is, I've been completely overwhelmed with the whole thing! I'll first say that I owe a rather large debt of gratitude to those of you who helped get me organized, packed, and other things all important. In retrospect, I'd definitely fork out the extra money for a larger truck. Why you might ask? Well, it appears that I inadvertently left a few key things behind with the assumption that one of us would be back to retrieve them. Oh yes, I know I covered that whole never assume thing in a previous update. I guess I just don't take my own advice some times. A larger truck would have translated to an easier question and answer session with Chris upon discovering the things I neglected to haul up here.

All that aside, my father arrived in Boise and in fine fashion (minus a couple pairs of blue jeans) on schedule, October 20th. On that day, I was attempting to take my "check ride" for my commercial pilot's certificate at Jetstream... I say that I attempted it, because, I was in truth unable to complete it. High winds aside, I was too distracted and overwhelmed with my own chaos to effectively complete the exam. I'll save the rest of those details for some other time. At any rate, that set the trend for the blistering, fast, and chaotic pace my life started to take during my last days in Boise. Somewhere between changes of address, packing, arranging, training, and saying farewell, Chris was busy seeing the not so nice side of Anchorage. I got a phone call over my last weekend in Boise that he and one of our new neighbors had been assaulted on the way home from a night out.

In addition to absorbing that information, I enlisted the help of many very good friends to help load up the U-haul, and finish the last of my packing, while trying to train my replacement at Alphagraphics. My father was an enormous help in keeping me both focused and good humored, and at the end of the day on the 25th, we started the drive to Bellingham where we greeted the Alaska Marine ferry named MV Kennecott.

Little Zev (all 130+ pounds of him) sat uncomfortably in the back of the BMW in a spot carved out between a rifle and a large box of stuff with a compound miter saw perched on top of it. There was just enough room for him to turn around on his LL Bean dog bed and sit up right (sort of). I had fully loaded the passenger seats of the U-Haul and the car right up to the windows, and barely had enough room for my precious coffee. My father had a brilliant idea to use 2-way radios while we were on the road for easy communication that didn't rely on cell phone service. [Just as a side note: If you're ever planning a long multi-car driving trip, 2-way radios are a life saver!] Due to the late start on Wednesday the 25th, we only made it to Yakima Washington and spent the night there in a nice Comfort Inn that allowed pets. Zev was very relieved to get a break from the car and made fast friends with the night clerk at the front desk.
In the morning, while we were getting ready to start driving, I noticed that some jackass backed into my car with a trailer hitch and dented the trunk, and instantly thought of bad omens... Thankfully, though, we were able to make it to Bellingham in tact the day before departing on the ferry. We used the extra day to finish last minute travel permits for Zev, and finalizing our reservations aboard the ship. We left Bellingham at 5 pm Alaska time (6pm local time in Bellingham), some 6 hours later than my reservations stated.

The trip to our first stop in Ketchikan took 39 hours and we were wowed with spectacular coastal scenery along the first portion of the Inside Passage. The ferry allowed regular trips to the car deck for pet visits and potty breaks, so Zev got lots of attention. While we were in Ketchikan, my father managed a spectacular tumble off of the curb crossing the only main road, and stopped traffic in both directions. Me, Zev, and a number of passers by were startled by the "Drop and Roll" wrestling move that my father did to preserve himself. What we all thought was most certainly a broken bone ended up with my father leaping up with a thumbs up sign, and a good giggle at his grace, though I think his knees might not see the same humor. That would be the first of many "Graceful Latin" swan dives or stumbles along the way. He claims that he's merely practicing for his upcoming circus act... we'll have to see if Barnum and Bailey are up for that act.

I'll leave you with this for now- my fingers are going numb from the cold air pouring through the crack at the bottom of the window pane and my typing is slowing rapidly with the onset of frost bite. The ambient outside air temperature is a balmy 6 degrees with high winds (bright sunshine though!) I'll pick up in a couple of days and finish the update then... enjoy for now and please do send me your emails. I look forward to hearing from you.


Take care,

Vered
...and Zev too

No comments:

Post a Comment