A little background info.

My photo
Anchorage, AK, United States
I moved to Alaska a few years ago and started the Update as a means to keep connected with the outside world. I hope you enjoy my (mis)adventures and stories from the Great Land! Feel free to leave a comment! For designers - please see my other blog,The Book Design Guide. The link is posted to the right in my 'selected links'.

Friday, June 11, 2010

An update, long overdue

Hello!

I apologize for the nearly 6 month absence.  That wasn't my intent, but I got super busy and well, the fun things like writing took a back seat.  I am hoping to make up for some lost time.  Obviously, 6 months is too long to update all of the goings on, but I can at least give the high/low points and let you know that we are still alive, still in Alaska, still kicking around the ideas of where to adventure next, and so on.  Last winter ended and spring came about with an unceremonious thud.  There were good things going on with work and life, but there were other things that cast a rather gray shadow over my normally sunny mood. 

First, a HUGE congratulations to my step-brother Kevin and his wife Urte! They welcomed twins into the world in early spring and I can't think of two people better suited to meet the demands of parenthood. They are both an inspiration and models of efficiency, good humor and kindness.  I can't wait to meet my new step-niece and nephew!  As their crazy auntie from Alaska, I rather enjoy the idea of spoiling them and then sending them back to their parents when the fun runs out. 

In April, I got disconcerting news about a family member (for privacy they shall remain nameless) who has fallen ill.  Please, if you already know, then do me a favor and keep the details to yourself.  If you don't already know, please accept my unwillingness to discuss it any further beyond this post.  I know you may be curious, but that's part of the mystery of life, now isn't it?  Needless to say, the gravity of the news was very emotional for me and I am still struggling to keep things in perspective, taking it one day at a time.  Of course, I accept that sometimes mother nature hands out just what we can handle and I take comfort in knowing that the future is still bright, unwritten and largely positive.  I am certain that this illness will pass and that life will once again return to normal.

As for myself and Chris go.... we are doing well for the most part.  We are both training for the Fireweed, though I'm pretty sure I will have to lessen my mileage for the race because I simply haven't had the time to train properly.  Initially, I had planned on doing the 200 mile division beginning at Sheep Mountain Lodge ending in Valdez.  Chris had initially planned on doing the 400 mile RAAM qualifier, but due to the lack of volunteers for pace car driving, finds himself in a predicament.  Even Janis Tower (a local icon in cycling) has had to back out of the 400 for lack of support crew.  In light of that, Chris will likely do the 200 division and I will do the 100 division.  In any case, the race is coming up in just a few short weeks.  So please, wish us luck! We'll both need it.

Earlier this year in February, Chris entered the Susitna 100, 50 Mile division... "Race Across Frozen Alaska" and finished 6th among the cyclists, which was a stellar finish time.  In March, I entered in an adventure race that involved hiking and biking, at times with a map and compass to navigate through some of the open country north of town.  I partnered up with my friend Liz, and we had a great day of tromping around in the woods.  As a team we finished 10th. 

Just last month, I spent some time at home in New Mexico visiting family.  Upon my return, myself, Chris and Liz tag team road a 550 mile loop from Anchorage to Cantwell, Cantwell to Paxon, Paxon to Glennallen.  Chris took the lions share of riding and completed 200+ miles from Anchorage to Cantwell along the Seward/Parks highways.  Liz and I met up with Chris, camped out along the Denali Highway and then in the morning, Liz rode a fair amount of the unpaved Denali highway toward the 'town' of Paxon.  The mostly uneventful trip became exciting when we got a flat tire 20 miles from the nearest paved road. 

A very kind man and his wife stopped to help and while I don't think we'll ever see them again, I am grateful for their kindness in getting our truck back on the road.  They just happened to have a mini-plug in tire pump (what are the odds?).. and our spare was quite flat, though not damaged.  Later in Paxon, after waiting at the bar for the tire repair guy to finish his 3rd round of Crown n' Coke, we had our truck's tire replaced with one from a few miles up the road.  In the process of re-mounting the tire, the repair guy attempted to put the old tire in the back of the truck.  I say attempted, because despite my warning that the dogs were quite territorial over the truck, he stuck his hand in, and yes you guessed it... got bit.  Zev, my Pyrenees and loyal pooch didn't much care for the partly toothless, somewhat drunken man and gave him one good snap right on the hand.  No skin was broken and there was nothing seriously damaged, except perhaps his ego.  A bag of ice and a sincere apology seemed to do the trick.  So, a word about dogs....

When someone tells you not to stick your hand in an open window with a 150 pound dog in it that is snarling and barking at you while foaming at the mouth, please, PLEASE... don't stick your hand in the damn window!  That man was lucky.  It could have been worse.  Honestly, it was the first and only time I can ever recall Zev getting aggressive like that.  Either way, it scared the hell out of me.  If they wanted to make a fuss, they could have demanded I have Zev put down.  I'd flee to Canada with the dog rather than let that happen.  I'm glad it never came to that.

So after the tire adventure, we drove 51 miles north of Paxon to the north side of the Alaska Range and camped out across from Rainbow Mountain.  In the morning, I made an attempt to ride 120 miles from that point south toward Glennallen.  But, all things being equal, mother nature threw in a 15 mile per hour head wind and a wicked thunderstorm along about mile 30 of the ride nearing the highest point of the pass just prior to Summit lake.  I got blown off the road more than once, and finally gave up riding and opted to hitch hike to a point beyond the thunderstorm.  Unfortunately, even the state trooper (one of only 3 cars that past me) didn't stop to help.  So in the midst of pea sized hail, snow, sleet, lightening and intense wind from the down burst, I desperately looked for shelter - ANY shelter.  In the tundra above the tree line there are no good shelters.  As luck would have it, I stumbled upon a gated gravel pit and noticed an old work shack.  Normally, when I see no trespassing signs, gates and pad locks, I opt to not enter.  But in this case, I was soaking wet, very cold bordering on hypothermic, and worried I was going to get struck by lightening, so I kicked in the door, broke the lock and took refuge in the shack next to a spent case of Natural Light beer.  After the storm, the wind continued which was a mixed blessing.  I stripped down to my birthday suit (no worries of onlookers in the middle of nowhere) and hung my bike gear out to dry for a few minutes.  Yes, I was freezing cold dancing around naked in the wind, but the thought of riding another 70 miles in wet clothes sounded much worse.  In case you're curious, I had plenty of food and water.  What I didn't have was warm clothes.  Lesson learned, 'nough said.

Chris and Liz were miles/hours up the road and well out of cell phone range, so calling for help was just not an option.  Either way, after about an hour, I hopped back on the bike and pedaled my way into Paxon rounding out 51 brutal miles.  The good folks at Paxon remembered me from the tire incident and were very good humored about the dog bite and my drown rat appearance.  I had a cup of hot coffee and started pedaling southward toward Glennallen.  About 10 miles south of Paxon, another storm started brewing and I thought I was ready to cry.... low and behold, Liz preemptively came to my rescue and found me along the Richardson highway at about mile 174.  I'm glad she did.  The second storm lasted over an hour and by then I was not in the mood for more riding.  We camped out at mile 173. 

For the most part, the weekend was pleasant, even despite the crazy thunderstorm.  I'd happily ride that stretch of highway again, though perhaps not in spring.  The following morning Chris and Liz rode south to Gakona and Glennallen where we drove back to Anchorage. 

Work continues to be busy.  Two days after the riding adventure, I hopped on a plane again and headed south to Tennessee for a design conference/retreat.  It was a fantastic event and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!  Good food, good friends, good music, good times!  However, on my return trip home, I realized that I have been gone for nearly a month.  The neglect of my household was obvious, so for now I think I'm done traveling for a while as I need to tend to work and domestic things...

We are looking forward to the race in July, Linda and Maddie's visit in August and all things summer here in the Great Land.  I will do my best not to remain absent from The Update for so long.

Until next time...

Vered
(and Zev too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment