A little background info.

My photo
Anchorage, AK, United States
I moved to Alaska a few years ago and started the Update as a means to keep connected with the outside world. I hope you enjoy my (mis)adventures and stories from the Great Land! Feel free to leave a comment! For designers - please see my other blog,The Book Design Guide. The link is posted to the right in my 'selected links'.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ch..ch..ch..Changes...

Hello!

It has been quite some time and I know many of you were curious how long I'd wait for this post... well, here it is.

I started the update in 2006 to keep my friends and family in the loop of what's going on while I/we live up above latitude 62. I suppose without further ado, I should address the proverbial elephant in the digital dining room. Now that a little time has passed, and everything has began to settle, I can actually write an update with some clarity of thought, and hopefully, a little humor.

Yes. It's true. Chris and I are no longer WE or US, and we have divorced. As of September 28th, we are both single individuals.  We will remain friends, and have agreed to help support each other as long as we're living in Alaska. It is our mutual hope and desire to remain friends well beyond the state boundaries and into the future. That said, I am not saying anything more about the divorce.  So that opens the door to everything else that has been going on. If I have news about Chris and he is willing to let me share it, I will. Otherwise, I'll stick to news of me, which may not be nearly as interesting, I know.

OKAY.......... on with the update.

I no longer live in Anchorage, and instead live in Indian, Alaska about 25 miles south of Anchorage near the end of a bumpy dirt road, 25 yards from the Chugach State Park boundary. My new place is rather petite, not unlike myself. It is a little green cabin with a moss covered roof, about 350 square feet give or take a few, and I am surrounded by the serene and stunning beauty of the Alaska wilderness. My land lady lives next door and my other neighbor lives about a 15 minute walk down a trail into the woods on a mining claim. Indian Creek is nestled among the birch and spruce trees about 150 yards from my door. My favorite Alaska bar, the Brown Bear Saloon is also about a 20 minute walk through the woods.

My new place comes with a number of huge lifestyle changes. I no longer have the following:

TV, cable, microwave, toaster oven, garage, a couch, washing machine/dryer, dish washer, trash service, city water... a nearby grocer, a landline telephone, Internet (spotty at best when the weather is good), gas station, convenient store, though Diamond Jim's sort of counts if you also want to shop edible underwear.......and a  host of other things.

What I do have though, is very fulfilling.  I was given a gift of an antique turn of the century (last century) Brumbach upright piano which I play daily for at least 2 hours. I also purchased a new flute which I play for about an hour a day. I have one chair (a lazy boy), one stool for the piano and a brand new super, duper comfy bed!   I have also inherited interesting and generous neighbors. I will reserve talking about them here, and wait for the next Update.

Thus far, life in Indian is good. It is different. It is changed forever, but it is good. I am getting used to cooking for one, being single and all the fun and headaches that come with being a solo individual.

My primary dislikes about single life are that I no longer have anyone to nag to shovel the driveway when it snows, and of course regular companionship, which I believe is a natural feeling, that in time will pass. Winter has arrived, and its icy embrace is here for the next 5 months.  We got our first big snows (about two feet), and I spent a grand total of 4 hours shoveling out my driveway; two hours in the morning to get to work, and two hours in the evening to make sure I could get to work again. Normally, I don't post pictures on my blog, but I really am quite proud of my shoveling success...  The driveway is about 75 feet long. I think the photo gives you a little bit of an idea of how much our first big snow dumped.  The bright light is not daylight. It's my "yard" light that I have to turn on and off from the breaker box inside the house. Theoretically it can remain on and is a motion sensing light, but I've found that is not the case. The sensor doesn't function properly.  If I had a 20' ladder, I could climb up to the top of the lopped off tree that hosts the light, but then of course, I don't have a 20' ladder.

In other news, I've spent nearly one week/weekend a month traveling since May.  First to New Mexico, the Tennessee, California, Washington, Oregon, and soon back to New Mexico.  I have a few more trips in mind  - one for New Years Eve (my favorite of all the holidays), a trip to Kansas City to check out the AIGA KC chapter's events, and if finances and passport are willing along with time off from work, a possible trip to Ireland sometime next year.  Nothing is set in stone, but I see no point in wishing for travel when I have the ability to do so now.

Zev has adjusted well to life in Indian.  He has also taken a liking to harassing ravens in the yard and no longer needs a leash. I bring him to town with me on the days I have things planned after work and take him on numerous walks through out the day.  Mitre (the cat) has also adjusted to his new life in the cabin.  His favorite perch is on top of the heater below my big picture window. I suspect he fantasizes about killing ravens or hunting moose or chasing off bears... Occasionally, he directs Zev to do bad things, but mostly, he enjoys his peaceful new environment. We all miss Lax terribly, and Chris and I have made an effort to take the dogs tot he dog park in Anchorage for doggy play dates.

That's all for now... I'll update more when I get a little time!

As always, I love hearing from you!

Cheers,
Vered
(...and Zev too)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing. Your life sounds like a fabulous adventure! Hopefully I can make it up your way at some point and see your peaceful retreat.
    -shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I'm glad you're where you are and doing what you're doing . . . though it would be nice if Indian, Alaska was only a snowball's throw from Fayetteville.

    Stay warm! -Jamey

    ReplyDelete